Sunday, June 15, 2008

I Tried the Tri at the Utah Summer Games

It's 5:15 in the morning and I wake up to the alarm. I ask myself, "What did I get myself into?" I must be crazy but I have trained hard so let's do it.

The weather could not have been better, bright blue skies and not too hot. Of course it was 6:30 am when we got there. Here is a picture of me before the race.



Well, they started the swim and it was like a bunch of piranha swimming crazy. You probably don't know but I am a pretty decent swimmer but wanted to keep my cool and go out at a comfortable pace.
The first hundred or so feet I could feel the excitement and almost started to freak out, but just as quickly told myself to calm down and swim. I guess I figured it would be better to finish than to drown, so I swam. In fact, I swam better than I thought because Michelle, my mom and dad said I was like the 10th or so swimmer out of the water.


I then transitioned to the bike and could feel my legs were a little rubbery but plowed ahead. Now the thing about this course is that most of it going out to the turn around is uphill and at mile marker 4 you hit a mega hill and then on the way back you have to climb it again on the opposite side, but not as bad. Icouldn't believe how many people were either screaming up the hill at mock speed or walking the hill. However, coming down that thing was a kick. I was probably cruising at around 35-40 mph. Well then I finish the bike and shift to the run.

Now after swimming 750 M (half a mile), 14 mile bike ride, the leg muscles are a little drained. At least for me they were shot but I wasn't going to stop running. So I ran my pace and yes people passed me but I didn't care. I still finished in style and can honestly say I gave my all. Here is a picture of me coming into the finish line.

I will post my times when I get them. thought you all would like to know. Plus, I am still alive.



3 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm very proud of you hunny!! You did an awsome job!

Richard Meyer said...

OUTSTANDING Blake! Congratulations. I don't think I can even run to the mail box :(

Richard

Chelsi said...

That is so awesome! Congrats on the great finish.

-Trevor